I am a coach proven to build close-knit teams of youth soccer players. I modify my teaching methods to suit a given age group, from 8 year olds to 18 year olds. For example, younger children have shorter attention spans and, generally, focus on interacting with fewer teammates simultaneously. Teens begin to see the entire team’s interactions more wholistically.
Using an affirming style based on mutual respect, I challenge every player to improve her individual and teamwork skills based on age and her/his own level of skills and maturity. Soccer is a free-flowing sport that requires thinking and communicating on the run, not plays dictated by a coach during a match. I model and instill positive communication and cooperation. I emphasize fun, fairness, and learning. I cultivate the competitive spirit, courage, and confidence that enables players to make practiced but independent decisions on the field. All the while, my players and I aim not only to play our best but also to win.
Brief Overview of Experience
Malden High School
Fall 2013: Freshmen Coach; Fall 2014 – present: JV Coach
- Devise and coach practice sessions that teach soccer skills, tactics and teamwork, based on the philosophy that each player should be challenged at her own level and recognized for doing her best, while maintaining a focus on competition.
- Create an environment that enables young adults to develop life-long skills such as respect, personal responsibility, prioritization, collaboration and maintaining poise whether winning or losing.
Malden Youth Soccer
2006 – present
- Assistant Coach and Coach for U8 – U16 (ages 6-16) co-ed, boys, and girls teams in Malden, one of the most racially diverse cities in Massachusetts.
- Create and run age- and skill-appropriate practices based on US Youth Soccer tenets including the development of life-long skills.
- Serve on Board of Directors, currently as Publicity Coordinator.
Education and Licenses
- Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED, American Red Cross
- Fundamentals of Coaching, National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS)
- First Aid, Health And Safety For Coaches, NFHS
- Concussion in Sports, NFHS, CDC
- Engaging Effectively With Parents, NFHS
- Creating a Safe and Respectful Environment, NFHS
- E License, Massachusetts Youth Soccer